- Spending too much time and energy on what or who we *don’t* want our kids to become.
- Focusing more on behavioral issues over character development.
- Expecting more from kids than what is developmentally appropriate. The parent needs to be the adult, not the kid.
- Mature parents raise mature kids. Immature parents raise immature kids. Truth is we are all both mature and immature parents.
- Trying to accomplish too much too quickly.
- Saying more than doing. Kids don’t listen as much to words as they do to actions.
- Not letting kids fail and/or succeed … which confronts that mom/dad are sometimes right, and sometimes wrong.
Now that you’ve named your parenting style, created a SWOT+, and identified some goals, it’s time to put some structure into place about how to bring all of this together. Boundaries are the lifeblood of Read more…